How can a leaf
of its intricate design –
its connected journey
with the sun
its synthesis with light?
I see a waterfall
within its serrated edges,
inside its veins
burns an orange moon –
a soul overflowing,
delusions stripped away
like the bark from a tree.
It shows me how to write.
A language on the air
like breath, a mind
an ocean, a country,
a single leaf.
September plays autumn notes
Written by summer drought
Except for prelude in Isaac air
Trees already pause for winter
In a great song of
“Hi – ber -nation”
Our early unrecoverable refrain
An extra long symphony
Now yellow leaves falling plays
A September Song
Oh, it’s a long, long while from May to December
But the days grow short when you reach September
When the autumn weather turns the leaves to flame
One hasn’t got time for the waiting game
On, the days dwindle down to a precious few
And these few precious days I’ll spend with you
These precious days I’ll spend with you . . .
(September Song, sung by Frank Sinatra in 1965)
I am a beginning author, writer and artist exploring the worlds of poetry, art and photography. I love to catch ordinary moments and reflect upon our natural world and its intersection with daily life. My professional life’s work has been in the field of education as public school teacher, administrator and college professor. My primary focus was on issues of poverty and it’s impact on student achievement and education policy. In 2006, I co-founded the Shadowleaves Company. Our mission is to share the joy of writing, photography, music and art with all ages by connecting with others. I have recently retired and live in the Ozarks on Lake Ann in Bella Vista, Arkansas. @jrobertswi Shadowleaves Blog Shadowleaves Facebook
I’d wanted to fly
right out of my life,
alone in the wind,
the stars and the sun –
with a belly full
of dammed up things,
life before rain,
before silence and space,
in waters still cold
at this time of day –
running with a twist,
steady and pouring away
like the eggshells I broke
playing with tempera
and fistfuls of memories
curled up in the womb.
says the clock,
the spokes of the wheel
slow turning in sequence,
in glistening drops.
They cycle to the ground
where everything turns,
tangled and torn
in a summer of skies.
© 2012 Louise Hastings
Written for Visual Dare #15 with Angela Goff
Also linking to dVersepoets Open Link Night 🙂
I am very honoured and delighted to receive this beautiful award from my lovely friend and fellow poet Marousia (Marsha Berry) Please do check out her wonderful poetry.
And as per the rules for the award..
1. Need to include the award’s logo in a post or on the blog
2. Answer 10 questions about yourself
3. Nominate 10-12 other awesome bloggers
4. Link your nominees to this post and comment on their blogs, letting them know they have been nominated
5. Link the person who nominated you.
10 questions about myself ..
1. what is my zodiac sign? I am a Taurean
2. what is my favorite food? My favourite food is Italian though I’m fond of Chinese, too.
3. My favorite book? My current favourite book is Sunbathing in the Rain by Gwyneth Lewis
4. What is my favorite color? Blue
5. What is my favorite movie? Watership Down
6. Which place would I love to go for vacation? A Greek island
7. Which is my favorite inspirational read? Rumi
8. Why do I blog? To share my poetry, writing & thoughts
9. What do I love doing best? Walking in the countryside, enjoying nature, spending time with my partner, writing & reading.
10. One thing which I would like to improve in myself: To stop procrastinating and do something….I will, in a minute… 😉
The nextstep is to nominate 10-12 awesome bloggers.
- @grasscraig http://thegrassisgreenerontheudderside.blogspot.co.uk/
- @Sisyphus47 http://ofglassandpaper.com/
- @Libithina http://libithinafae.blogspot.co.uk/
- @EdjoFrank http://www.edjofrank.wordpress.com/
- @montygrant39 http://montygrant.wordpress.com/
- @jtvancouver http://goingforcoffee.blogspot.co.uk/
- @Diana605 http://lifethrublueeyes.wordpress.com/
- @baldychaz http://www.baldychaz.com/
- @benmind http://benmind.wordpress.com/
- @VerseEveryDay http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.in/
I am very honoured and grateful to be nominated for this award by my new friend, blogger and writer, Honoré Dupuis @Sisyphus47 ~ A big thank you! 🙂 http://ofglassandpaper.com/2012/05/25/onelovelyblogaward-gratitude/
The rules of acceptance for this award nomination are as follows:
- Thank the person/people who nominated you and link back to them in your post
- Share 7 things about yourself
- Nominate 15 or so bloggers you admire
- Contact your chosen bloggers to let them know
OK, 7 things about me:
- I love writing poetry (obviously)
- I love reading, especially YA Fantasy novels. His Dark Materials, The Hunger Games. I love a good story that I can get my teeth into.
- My favourite food is Italian. (King Prawn Linguine)
- My greatest fear is being buried alive. *shudders*
- I would love to be able to play the piano.
- I love watching cricket. If I could, I would follow the England team around the world to watch them play (or buy Sky TV)
- However, if I won the lottery I’d buy a cottage in Devon or Cornwall and spend all my time with my partner and writing.
Finally, I would like to nominate these blogs for the award:
http://athingforwordsjahesch.wordpress.com/ @JAHesch http://foxglovelane.blogspot.co.uk/ @foxglovelane
🙂 Thanks again, Honore!